RESEARCH LIBRARY AND SERVICES
Research at the Barton County Historical Society Museum is now centered in the recently completed Ray Schulz Research Library.
Staff will perform a limited search of genealogical records in the collections for a $10 donation for the first hour of research. Copies of any records found will be an additional 25 cents per page, plus $4.95 for postage and handling. The basic, limited search will include the family surname files, Biographical History of Barton County, Kansas (published 1912), Family Heritage Album of Barton County, Kansas (published 1973), and Barton County Cemeteries (three volumes, published ca. 1980).
Because staff is limited, we are not able to do additional research. Our research files are available during normal operating hours and we encourage you to utilize these resources in person. An admission fee of $4 for non-members aged 16 and over is required.
In addition to the resources mentioned above, there are files and books available in the library collections, including general area information, plat books, telephone directories, etc. The Museum's extensive collection of photographs is indexed and reproductions may be obtained for a fee.
For additional information on where to locate local records, please download our genealogical resource list.
Publications Available in Our Gift Shop:
- Barton County Historical Society. Collections, Vol. 1, Nos. 1-5.
- Barton County Historical Society. Collections, Vol. 2, Nos. 1-4.
- Marge Harrington. Barton County, Golden Heartland of Kansas. (Great Bend Tribune, 1996).
- Centennial Book of Great Bend, Kansas: A Historical Portrait of Great Bend, 1872-1972. (Centennial Committee, 1972).
- The Great Bend City Directory & Business Gazeteer, 1886-7. (Reprinted by Ray Schulz).
- Ray Schulz. Great Bend Pride, A Pictorial View of the 1920s.
- Ray Schulz. History of the Streets of Great Bend, Kansas.
- Ray Schulz. Moments in History.
- Bernard B. Smyth. The Heart of the New Kansas. (Reprinted by Ray Schulz).
For further information, please telephone the museum or e-mail: director at gmail.com